Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Pioneering Spirit

Two years ago we started on a journey we didn't expect.  Right after our family vacation to the Ozarks,  my husband was diagnosed with cancer.  It felt like the end of the world, and the next few months are still a blur.

But I can tell you when our new life began: August 2, 2011.   That's the day my husband announced he was going to a Whole Foods Plant Based Diet to heal from cancer.  He had the surgery in July and was scheduled to start chemo, radiation, and hormone therapy in August; all of which he declined.   On that day we became pioneers in a whole new lifestyle.  Our switch to Whole Food eating was abrupt, overnight, and it was overwhelming.  But we needed to do it, not just for my husband's healing but for all of us.
It REALLY was called the Pioneer cabin, down by itself in a 'holler

Our "Pioneer Cabin" vacation, a few weeks before our diet change.
Notice the extra large marshmallows and Dr Pepper (pre-Whole Food eating)
When I was a little girl I wanted to travel across the plains in a covered wagon.  I had a cute sun bonnet just like Laura Ingalls that I treasured.   Today, I often feel like a pioneer - but now my hair is in a scrunchy, and I'm more likely to be wearing yoga pants than a long skirt.  Do I even own a long skirt any more?  So here's my American Pioneering story.  It's how we eat and live.  For a girl who thought she was helping her mom cook when she peeled back the foil on the tv dinner, making bread from scratch has been an eye opener.  I'm constantly learning new things.

On this blog I will share recipes that have worked for our family, tips that helped us transition, share the resources I've found, and be honest about all our experiences in this new life.  Most of all - it's not a story about cancer, or giving up foods.  Much as pioneer stories weren't about the home they left behind.  For us, it's about the new world of whole foods we are discovering for us and our family.  It's about life, health, energy, healing, and joy of living life to the fullest.


No comments:

Post a Comment