Monday, March 18, 2013

Pineapple Upside Down Jam

My favorite breakfast consists of a homemade bun with homemade jam on it.  Yummy heaven.  Really, I wasn't trying to invent a new jam this morning, I just wanted something on my bun...homemade jam to be precise.


With fresh buns made yesterday, it seemed pretty simple to whip up some new freezer jam with instant fruit pectin.  I could almost guess the ratios of fruit, raw sugar, and fruit pectin needed...but I couldn't pull off the liner on the jar that has the directions hidden underneath.  Going online, there were not simple directions on the company website.  This jam is for my toast this morning.  Right now, really.  So off I go to just find a recipe.  Typing in "mango pineapple freezer jam" can you believe it's out there?!

Here's a link I found that used mango, pineapple, limes, and sugar - all ingredients that were on hand...and no fruit pectin!

http://www.food.com/recipe/mango-and-pineapple-jam-42416

Below is my version, which tastes so much like Pineapple Upside Down Cake it felt like my birthday just eating it while it was still warm and just out of the pan.

Pineapple Upside Down Jam


3 c frozen mango-pineapple mix
2 c raw sugar
1/3 c fresh lime juice

Combine all ingredients in sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring continuously.  Once it boils, turn down heat to med-high and cook for 15-20 minutes.  Spoon into two jam jars.

Don't wait for it to cool!  Immediately spread some warm jam on a bun to enjoy the warm pineapple upside down taste.

Admittedly it helped to have one boy to squeeze the limes, and one boy to stir the mixture.  I'm not to fond of standing over the stove stirring, but my sons are willing to do it.  Wahoo!  Next time, my son wants to try it with less sugar....I say more power to him.


No comments:

Post a Comment