Wednesday, February 13, 2013

First Night Eating Our New Way

Our first night on our plant based whole foods diet was a bit like being stranded on a deserted island.  We didn't know where to turn.  Scrounging through the pantry we found some oatmeal which we promptly ate for dinner.  It was the only thing we had that was plant based and a whole food and it got us through the first night.  Everything else in our pantry or fridge was processed, meat, or cheese.  Shawn made oatmeal with water - which I've always disliked.  Still do.  I don't think I really ate dinner that first night.
Breakfast after we our diet change includes more oatmeal. 
Oatmeal turns out to be a good example of the little, yet big, changes we've made.  Growing up, I always loved the little packets of Apple Cinnamon and Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal.  It was an adjustment to learn how to make GOOD oatmeal from scratch.  Now, I use almond, walnut, or banana milk instead of dairy; and my current favorite oatmeal is homemade pumpkin oatmeal with grape nuts sprinkled on top.  Now, I use dates for sweetener, and add in flax.  All those extra nutrients and flavor boosts were missing in my little packets of oatmeal.  Now I don't feel deprived not eating the little packets, I'm quite satisfied - and privately think I was a bit deprived before.

BTW, We've tried the steel oats, etc, and they are okay.  But for the most part we just stick to regular oats.  It's just easier and cheaper to get Quaker Oats in bulk at Sam's.  When we're on an oatmeal kick (we aren't right now), I will make a big bowl of oatmeal in the morning and everybody helps themselves.  Leftovers make great snacks or breakfast the next day.

Some time I'll post my formula for making oatmeal on this blog.  In the meantime, be encouraged that plant based whole foods eating does not mean eating bland boring foods day after day.  It means learning about a variety of new delicious foods.

Breakfast before our diet change breakfast would often be quite sugary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment